Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007


The top is competed! I feel PROUD! I DID IT! Wow! Excuse me while I sit here patting myself on my back.
You need to understand when earlier this year, actually just a couple of months ago, I decided to learn how to quilt, I was not at all sure I could do this. But I think I AM doing it and it feels so good. My apologies to artist Judy S. for my mistakes in pattern placement, but I am okay with it. No one told these fish were to swim or the seaweed where to grow! LOL They are just doing their thing.

Now I can start worrying about the quilting part. First I have to sew the borders on. Then I can start worrying about the quilting on top. I tried a little free style quilting on some nap time quilts for my grand kids a few weeks ago. They came out cute. But this is a much larger and more involved project. I have ideas. Wait and see. I just don't want to mess it up.

You might wonder why I decided to learn to quilt. This is a "later life crisis" kind of thing. The kind that comes way after "mid-life crisis". I was filing for social security and it dawned on me that I had a far shorter time to live than I had already lived, even if I lived to a ripe old age. (wishful thinking) And I wanted to leave my mark. I wanted to be remembered. So it's my way of instilling memories into my grand children's generation. And also giving them some joy. It's also about learning new things. It took me a while, but I went to college, I got three degrees: AA, BA, MA. I did all that. I have a career. I taught myself to crochet as a much younger woman. Then to knit last year. And now on to this new challenge. Do I quilt until I die or my mind goes? Or will there be other new things to learn? Don't know, but I'm OPEN to it all. Life ain't over yet! That's for sure!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the top!!! I see why she calls this 9-patch pizazz. I am so proud of you for learning this new skill. I see myself enrolling in a quilting class in the next year or two. By then you'll be a master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do my best to pass on the wisdom I am learning in this process K. Every step is a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!