Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Saturday's Farmer's Market in Ink and Paint

Last Saturday I got up early and went downtown to the farmers market. I found a spot on a curb between the food stalls and sat to draw some quick sketches.

I thought of painting there, but it was hot and getting hotter. So I took them home to paint.

It was fun to see so many people out shopping, filling bags of fresh organic fruits and veggies to enjoy later at home.


Because I was drawing quickly, these have even more of a cartoon quality to them I think.  It was fun to make the pen move fast and not think very much at all about what I was getting.

I sat right behind this woman playing guitar and singing. It made the drawing experience all the more pleasurable.


She told little snippets about herself between songs. And people dropped dollar bills into the large tin bucket in front of her. I hope she made a lot as she brought even more fun to Market Day.


The flower stall is always so full of many many buckets of fresh cut flowers. I like seeing people filling their arms with them. It's colorful and smells good too.


Men and women of all ages, mom's and kids, small family groups walk through the four city blocks in our Old Town area. It must be good for the businesses that are open behind them as well. It was a nice day to be outside. But as the temperature climbed and my bottom got sore on the hard curb I was ready to head back home to paint my drawings. (next time I'll bring a pillow to sit on)
I hope you are enjoying your weather where you are.
Remember to shop locally, it helps our economy.

plein air drawing is fun
The ink drawings of the people were done in 2-3 minutes max.
most of my painting is wet on dry; the umbrella in the last picture is wet on wet, as it had that look to it in real life
ink first then paint
no erasing, just my style
!

What it looked like to my camera's eye:


I had a nice conversation with Shelley Dally who makes beautiful fused glass jewelry and sells it there.  She made the beautiful Frida Kahlo jewelry you see in the collage. She wondered which part of NY I came from. She's not the first person to ask me that.
I was born and raised in this very county in California.
Not sure why some people think I hail from New York, but I like hearing it.
:-)
Makes this small town gal feel big city occasionally.

I love eggplant; DH hates it. Therefore, DH shops and cooks in our house! Yes, eggplant is why!
Now I eat it when out, and draw and paint it of course!
XS ink and watercolor

Posting this for
Paint Party Friday!
To see more artists art from this challenge follow link on my side bar.

42 comments:

  1. Love the looks at your FM. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn, What a great place to sketch and people watch!...as always you bring your part of the world to life, it's so good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sketches, Lynn! Great place to do it too! I think you grew up and live in the best place in the world!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it PPF there already? You have such a loose way of sketching- which is perfect for these characters, I couldn't do these if I tried. Love all the colours too. Do you take photos of them to see at home- or just paint from memory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paint from memory and sometimes ad lib when I don't remember what colors they were wearing. Artist's license and all that.

      No not yet. I post on Thursday for PPF and link at nine PM when they open the linky format. No idea why it comes on at 9 - 9:30 on Thursday night but it does. (I like getting there early. I've always liked being early and first in line for everything!)

      Delete
  5. I love that Farmers Market you have. What a fun place to go sketch and you captured the essence of the place with people shopping and Mother and Daughters. Fabulous detail for such quick sketches even to the detail on the clothes. Happy PPF early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really nice - I like them all.

    A New Yawker? Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job capturing your experience at the market! Amazing you can capture all of this in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh what a great idea to paint from the Farmers Market. Lovely art!! Happy PPF! #7 Robin Panzer Art Studio 33

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your sketches. I really enjoyed seeing them in black and white but loved them even more once you added color. A farmer's market is such a busy happy place. It's perfect for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your freestyle sketches! Inspired me to try some out for a different project. The farmer's market is especially fun to me as I am spending every weekend in the summer selling art at a flea market in town!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun Farmers Market. I love seeing your artist interpretation of where you go and who you see each week. Your market sketches are fabulous! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the trip and art, I didn't have to get all hot for it! We have been over 100's here!
    I don't know how you sound, I always get questions like that when they hear me, funny huh?
    I always enjoy your illustrations, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your ability to capture a whole scene like this. I have some market photos I might use for some sketches. Thanks for the idea.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your illustrations of life in your part of the world! You really bring the every day to life and I really like the cartoony feely to these sketches. How funny folk think you're from New York, even I know there's a big difference in the accents from East to West Coast!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynn these are amazing as usual! Yes I always buy local...I am so fortunate to have a produce stands a few blocks away in both directions. Prices are better and the seasonal items are so cheap...we cook around what's in season!! Love our produce! Summer farm fairs are the best too!! Got some home made soap the other day that is scrumptious smelling!! You captured the warmth of the day and bustle of the people!!

    Our weather is warm hear too, but topping 80...anything over 75 is too hot for me!! Not a heat baby either!!

    Happy ppf

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sketches are always so lively and immediate, it makes me feel like I was there at the market too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynn, Just catching up. Love theses sketches, you are having such fun and it shows. The owls are amazing and aunt and uncle are lovely.
    Kisses to henry! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent post Lynn and what an exciting trip you have made out of going to the farmers market. I really enjoyed my trip there. Awesome work!! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your sketching inspires so! Love the with color and without color photos- lets me see the joys in each!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love how you capture the essence of a place and the people ~ well done ~ lovely photo montage ~~ thanks, namaste, (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, LOVING your photos and paintings of the flea market!
    You really capture the color and energy!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed my visit to the market!!!
    These pages are pure joy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love to see your drawing/painting, they are so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the eggplants... we live on the stuff and love the markets here, though they are a very chilly start for us so it is a bit hard getting there... I want summer markets like yours ...xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. another fun visit to your blog! I love all the people and the eggplants!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't say enough good things about how wonderful your very fresh and interesting pen and watercolor work is. Make a book, one of those inexpensive on-line publishers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gloria, I do indeed intend to make a book from one of the on line publishing companies. I intend to do this around November of this year which will be one year from the time I starting this daily drawing in public places. I thought it would make nice holiday gifts for my family and friends.

      Delete
  27. Your sketches are amazing! They are like photos. Love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm always so amazed at what a different feel your sketches have after you've painted them! And what fun to go to the farmers' market to sketch!

    Jenny and I are going to tag along with Richard to his conference next week in San Diego and I'm planning on doing LOTS of drawing, since there will actually be loads of people around!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your pictures, they are so full of life! I don't like eggplant either! You asked about my postcard story - it is fiction, but takes place at real places, and my characters are all based on family and friends. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome summer sketches! :) Love the purple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love markets! Your sketches really show the atmosphere and all the colors that can be seen on markets. Love to go there! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very interesting. I love the outdoor market. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This live sketching looks like so much fun, and I like that you didn't worry about getting too detailed. All the essentials still came through in the finished product. You feel like you were there listening to the guitar player and shopping for rainbow-colored groceries. Great eggplants too. First time I ever saw that veg as part of a still life.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your sketchbook pages. really great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. love these pages. They put me right there! Thanks for your kind comments on PPF too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the simplicity of your sketches and then the painting of them. Great art.. . . . . you capture reality so well. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  37. Going to a Farmers Market is one of my favorite things to do and you have captured the event extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love these drawings, and seeing the colour added to them. SO vibrant and so much energy. Great lines.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, you sure have talent capturing all the activity that's going on at those markets. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That Farmer's market looks exciting. I love vibrant markets like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!