Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Ireland


 It's hard coming home after a months travels abroad. I'd like to write more in depth about our trip, perhaps things we learned along the way would be helpful to others making a similar trip sometime.

On this particular day we were visiting the Aran Island off of the village of  Doolin, Ireland. We walked around the island, enjoying it's stone walls, and green fields, coming to this ship wreck rusted out hull, and I stopped to rest and draw it. Matteo, is the Italian fellow we met on this walk and he wanted to take a photo of me drawing the ship. Below you can see one half of a double page spread in my large Moleskin art journal I did of her.




We absolutely fell in love with the village of Doolin.  This is part of the main drag. The other part is as small. A few shops to encourage tourists to buy wool Irish sweaters. I did! And in the post before this one you can see my drawing of the pink store with the thatched roof below. If you look very closely you'll see me sitting on the stone wall next to the jeep wearing my new green Irish wool sweater and sketching away!


and here I am adding water brush to paint or colored pencils not sure which now.


We backpacked in Europe, meaning all our belongings (clothes, toiletries & art supplies) had to fit in a 40L Osprey backpack and a smaller day pack,  and be not too heavy, as I had to carry things up and down flights of stairs in underground train stations, on and off buses and trains, in airports, on cobbled streets, etc. Sometimes for way longer than I felt humanly possible, but I did do it and I am proud my body held up for it all.


We took a boat ride from Doolin to the Island and it took us on a side trip very near the Cliffs of Moher. Beautiful is an understatement.


Back at our BnB on our last day before heading to the bus to Galway and the train to Dublin for our flight home the next day we stopped to say goodbye to our friend the donkey, who lived a few doors down from us. The whole atmosphere here was so very tranquil, peaceful, quiet, that it was a very difficult thing to say goodbye to all of this and head back to bigger city life.


My husband did an excellent job of planning our trip; I lucked out finding us perfect accommodations to stay in, always spotlessly clean, friendly proprietors, comfortable and attractive. Language was never a barrier even when we did not speak each others languages. We made ourselves understood.
We both thought it was one of the best months of our lives!
And were so glad we got to enjoy it together.

 
 These baggy black pants were "rain gear", although we met up with very little of that. I'm wearing them over black tights. On the way home I was wearing layers of clothes to lighten the load on my back in the backpack. Thus also wearing the green sweater under the down jacket even though it was not THAT cold.
 

And so off we went saying goodbye to Doolin, our last village on our journey, to Dublin and our flight home the next day. We can't wait to go back!

Some more Sketchbook Skool assignments completed:




And the front of that ship wreck on the top of the post!


21 comments:

  1. I love seeing all your photos and drawings from your trip Lynn. That sweater looked really nice - and warm. I would like to get one of those, but sadly I'm allergic to wool...can you believe it, surrounded by sheep and I can't wear wool !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ann that is a pity, as the wool would be so nice for your area in winter months! This one is actually very light weight too. Not thick. But warm nonetheless. It has pads on the elbows of a soft leather and leather buttons. Classic cardigan style. I think I or my mom had a sweater like this years ago.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful journey you are and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can inspire anyone to travel and/or to draw or both then my life will be worthwhile! Thanks Christine.

      Delete
  3. i've so enjoyed seeing all of your photos and paintings the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been great fun reading about your trip and seeing all your sketches Lynn. Glad you are home safe and sound full of wonderful memories. Where will be your next big adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed your fun trip, photos, sketches and writings. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful trip it was, and your aquarelles are so nice, loved them. Happy PPF! Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is such a joy to follow your travels and adventures through your art... you are going to love looking back at the sketchbooks and remembering ... amazing stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your drawings as I always do. I also liked visiting the Galway area of Ireland. It has been almost 40 years since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work and it seems you had a lovely trip around in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smashing sketches from your travels and great photos as well. Sounds like a brilliant month. Happy PPF Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to go to Ireland some day!What an inspiring place it is!Love your sketches!They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy you had good time in Ireland. Your photos and art are amazing but...
    next time you should visit Finland!
    I'm sure you would love our clean air, rich nature with a zillion objects to paint/draw/shoot photos.
    If you come let me know and I'll help you!
    Have a relaxing weekend!

    my blog - > BLOGitse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great trip. Lovely to see your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredible trip! And you are taking us all along for the ride. Thank you. And thank you for sharing your wonderful sketches. I adore your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos and explanation of your trip are charming. I feel like I was there...well, maybe I wish I were there. Lovely drawings and scenes of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is great to share your travels..visually especially. As always I love your lively and expressive artwork. I was interested to learned you began as a quilt maker...were the designs a similar style to your drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fantastic! And your sweater is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and sketchbook. What a fabulous trip.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. So awesome! What a trip! - I can imagine your backpack-problem (what to pack and what not) - we backpacked into the Swedish mountains last year - my back was sore but it was worth it :)
    Thanks for sharing! ...love your sketches too.
    Thanks also for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!