Tuesday, October 23, 2007
French Rose Quilt is Sandwiched and Pinned
Pizazz Quilt teacher (the Fish Quilt, my first big one) helped me lay out the backing flannel on the floor to fold it in half and to cut it to be seamed. It took the two of us to do it. This is by far my largest quilt to date (my fourth).
That done I enjoyed a Mexican lunch of chicken enchilada, rice and beans and probably not so healthy chips, ice water and fresh lime to drink at the little locally owned restuarant I like in this area. Then back to work.
Once home I spread the backing down the upstairs hallway, it just about filled the whole floor. And I had to cut only one layer down the long length of this doubled over fabric. It was not a timid job believe me. I have no idea how straight it is or isn't. I put the huge bulk of material on my ironing board where I ripped the salvages off four sides of the fabric two at a time! Yes, ripped. I'd not done this before, but Connie said to so I did and it came out fine.
I then took it to my sewing machine and sewed quarter inch seams down two sides.
This done I ironed the seams open and then laid the backing face down on my bed. It covered the queen sized bed and ran down the sides and ends. I then got out the batting and laid it on top of the backing and it was even longer and wider than it. And finally I smoothed all that out and then laid the top of roses on top of it finishing the sandwich. I smoothed and smoothed them so there were hopefully no wrinkles on any of the 3 layers. This was not an easy task either as there is not that much room between the bed and ironing board on one side or the bed and three walls on the other side and ends. Another words, not much room for ME to fit next to it.
I squeezed in best I could and began the pinning. Each square got five pins, one in each corner and one in the middle, working from the middle of the quilt to the outside. A slow, laborious process. That is when I began to sweat. I had to reach underneath all three layers smoothing out as I went to pin through the layers careful not to pick up the bedspread underneath it all. I did not prick my fingers once!
I do believe it took about an hour and a half to complete the pinning out to the borders.
DH came home as I was finishing up and I yelled to him to bring up the camera. I felt this needed to be chronicled with pictures! As you can see Henry V got into the act immediately! Too funny.
I am in awe of how much sewing there is to do on this top. A little overwhelmed at the prospect of it, but excited to get started at the same time. Wish me well and smooth sailing, I mean sewing! ;-)
May all your projects and creations be as fun as this is for me.