There is a combination of top free motion sewing/thread painting and hand embroidery to highlight the leaves and borders of this quilt. The hand embroidery is done with metallic threads that my sewing machine balks at using easily. But I wanted them so I used my hands.
Fabrics used were two new (fat quarters from MN quilt shop); all the rest are re-purposed fabrics found in thrift stores or remnant bins, cottons and satins, and mesh, many with a gold shine to them. And of course the dryer sheets that I dyed using green acrylic paint as taught by Natalya.
When I went around the ends of the top fabric strips they looked like a skyline of buildings to me thus the name Living Green. I sewed windows on the top most strips adding to the building theme. You of course may see it very differently and I am open to your take on it.
Unfortunately, this one is not photographing it's true colors well. The outside binding is a bright shiny gold fabric that sings, but my camera (with and without flash/indoors and out) refused to show it off to it's full glory. You will just have to take my word for it.
It measures 45" X 27" in size. The back was black but the stitches looked too messy so I covered the entire back with a sheet of dark green satiny fabric adding a hanging sleeve in the same fabric. It looks very neat and clean now.
click to enlarge photos to see details if you want to