The dread locks are hand dyed (by me) repurposed dryer sheets rolled up and hand stitched.
I did my best to follow the directions of Maria Elkins "Making Portraits" article in The Quilting Arts Book by Patricia Bolton. I am challenged by a brain that does not follow directions easily, especially when I am told to put Steam a Seam 2 on my fabrics...as sometimes I put it on the wrong side (even though after I do that my mistake makes the correct way obvious) I am likely to do it wrong again. I become quite frustrated in the cutting and layering of fabrics to get the portrait just right. And that is why his face lacks shadows and depth. And why he has no whites in his eyes! So be it.
I love the 3-Dimensionality of the dreads!
spirals in the back ground, which is sewn free motion style
all over in spirals. Gold thread is left hanging free off some of them.
I then put on a frame of binding, something I haven't done
on one of my FREE STYLE quilts in long time.
I wanted the wild and crazy part to be the head and hair!
Let me know what you think.
I may very well do this one again, as this is a gift to be given soon,
and I'd love to see how one like it would do in a show.