Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult & More

If you missed my good news announcement go back one post! And HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE...AND THANKS FOR BEING MY BLOG FRIEND THIS YEAR. I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND VISITS. LET'S HEAR IT FOR ANOTHER VERY VERY GOOD YEAR! AND NOW ON TO THOSE BOOK REVIEWS:My sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: This was a really hard book for me to read, as the story focuses around a family whose oldest daughter is struggling with leukemia. I am very squeamish about blood; and when she describes blood pouring out of eye sockets and every other opening in this child's body I am amazed I did not pass out reading it. But the book is also about her younger sister who the parents had in order for her to be a medical donor to her sister and all the legal ramifications that involves.
I know now after reading at least six of Picoult's novels that they all follow a certain formula. I don't have a problem with that as I always enjoy the "love angle"; the law aspect is here again; and other things that each book seems to offer. But I was NOT expecting the ending to this book and it seemed to whack me upside the head! I am still reeling from it and wiping tears from my cheeks. It's a good author who makes you care so deeply about her characters.
This was the sixth book I read during this vacation of mine. (So far) I've talked I think about The Book Thief by Zusak; and House Rules also by Picoult her most recent. I was a little disappointed in Anita Shreve's Rescue. I generally like her books a lot. But maybe having it follow too exceptionally well written books with powerful stories, this one just fell short for me as too quick, too easy brushing over a hot topic, Alcoholism, in a way that left me feeling cheated at the end.
I hadn't read Anita Diamant since reading The Red Tent years ago. I really liked that book a lot. So I was curious what her next novel would be like, Good Habor. It's in present time, not biblical. The two main characters who become friends in this novel are both Jewish. One a convert the other born. And the disease du jour is breast cancer. So a theme for me in several of these books is death, disease, aging, struggling to survive. What am I to make of that? I know I enjoyed reading the book well enough, but as I write this nothing is shouting out to me in a big way making it particularly memorable.

I found the next book at the thrift store: Memories of Anne Frank Reflections of a Childhood Friend by Alison Leslie Gold. Written I think for older kids in mind, I found it provocative. I felt I learned much more about Anne Frank and her life prior to her hiding from the Nazi's in Amsterdam. And of those times. Told from the prospective of her close girlhood friend, Hannali. This was a good read after reading The Book Thief. It filled in more gaps. It's hard to say you LIKE a book about the holocaust, but it's important to me that they are written and are a part of always remembering and not forgetting that it happened in hopes that it never happens again. I recommend it. Published by Scholastic.

So now you are up to date on my reading marathon. Next book? Not sure. I have a huge pile as we went to a lot of thrift stores on our trip and I got a lot of books. I will let you know. And if perchance you have read any of these or do in the future I'd love to hear your take on them.

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the book reviews. i am always interesting in what people are reading. on the basis of your previous review i purchased the book thief and have begun reading. I read the Picoult you mentioned today and bizzarly forget wht the ending was. I will keep my eyes out for the book you mentioned by her the other day, almost bought it but I know the libraries will get it so may wait for that. she lives not far from me. happy NY. !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suki, it warms my heart to know that my talking about a book, in this case, The Book Thief, led you to want to read it too. Let me know what you think. If you want me to remind you about the ending of My Sister's Keeper I can email it. It's still strong in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice nice! Happy New Year Lynn! Btw, I'm doing an online book group if you are interested... First book we are reading is She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I AM CRACKING UP AT YOUR NEW HEADER.. LOL That is a hoot!!!! I hope you have a wonderful productive and Happy 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE the header!
    :-D

    I've read several of the Picoult
    books, but not yet this one. Will put it on my list.

    Happiest of New Years to you and all of yours Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying your reading posts as you vacation Lynn--and now having just started my own vaca time--I'm reading up a storm. I loved Anita Diamant's "Good Harbor," I usually like Anita Shreve, but haven't read "Rescue." I'm in agreement about Jody Picault's book. I started it twice, but haven't been able to make it through.Kudos to you for making it through!

    I'm in the middle of Chitra Banerjhee Divakaruni's "One Amazing Thing"--and loving it.

    Here's to a deliciously literary new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cori thank you for the invite to your on line book club.

    Hannah, I hope you skim past the bloody parts as the story line is really good in this one.

    Crish, glad I made you laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!