Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Bound Off!

Saturday night and Sunday morning I sat and bound off the last row of stitches taking the baby blanket off the needles that sewed it in the round... Laying it out flat for the first time was very exciting...
Seeing those 13 stripes like ripples running on a flat quiet river...
...framing the center of nine hearts like a big picture frame...
I am happy to see the corners came out well after all my struggling; learning to trust a pattern instruction no matter how foreign to me it might be...
Then I sat and wove in all the loose yarn ends on the back side leaving the suggested one inch showing to be cut off more after the blanket is washed.
Now I have begun knitting the first of nine more heart squares that once sewn together I will sew down to the opposite side giving the middle of the blanket a pretty side front and back; and a soft cushion on which baby girl grand daughter can sit and play! I can already imagine her tugging at the felted buttons I will also sew to both sides and learning her colors pointing to the hearts and stripes. Thank you Kristin Nicholas for this most precious pattern for me to knit.

16 comments:

  1. This baby blanket is absolutely adorable. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has come out so well Lynn...u r a real quilting queen...Ne'er imagined this is how its going to look (anyways I'veno idea of knitting!!!)...Any baby would love it:))
    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will become a wonderful heirloom--I remember when you first started and were struggling at first--I know you're happy that you kept going--an inspiration--that's what you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you say, "heirloom?" This is so pretty Lynn. Knitting is something I have dabbled with since I was a little girl,however never really got good at. I watch that knitting show on PBS every week and sear to myself that I'm going to really dive in and get good at it. This piece just may be my inspiration to do just that! You should be very proud of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this turned out beatuifully. Your Grand will feel the love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, i didnt know the hearts were to be surrounded by a border, and what a lovely border it is. This is a treasure and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, This is absolutely WONDERFUL. I love it. They will love it. What a labor of love all around. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous...gorgeous...gorgeous...what more can I say! A real labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has turned out so beautifully - I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous. I wondered if you were going to back it (I thought of soft Minky as a back) but think your idea of having hearts on the back is just wonderful. LOVE it Lynn - it really is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, Lynn. I love the vibrant colors and cheery pattern. You're a pretty good knitter; something I was never able to master.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've created a marvelous keepsake that will be used and treasured, Lynn! Sooooooo beautiful!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful blanket. I had not thought about washing the blanket or knitted garment before cutting the string less than an inch. That was a very good tip.

    When I was in Maine my goal was to learn how to knit socks. I achieved that goal. I also knitted hats. But I couldn't never bring myself to go beyond that...probably because I had a lot of big projects and used knitting for my quick one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful heriloom you have created, Lynn ! So beautiful and full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this post??? This blanket is just so darn special (as is everything you make)!!! It is a mystery to me how you knit all those hearts in there... just fabulosa!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I've been waiting for these pictures! Love it and so will your new grand child :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!