Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Live Music in the Redwood Grove on the UC Davis campus

Yesterday we went to Davis to listen to live music in a grove of redwood trees.
It was on the grounds of the University of California, Davis.
A small group of  five musicians, who meet twice a month, sat out in the shade on a deck and played 3 guitars, a drum and an accordion. Sometimes they also sang.

While there I drew this in black ink, XS Pitt pen in my new 8 X 11" art journal.

Later I painted the drawing with my translucent watercolors. (at home) The paper is 130 lb. A grade up from the 80 lb of my last art journal paper. The pages are not curling much at all in comparison. It's fun to start a new journal. It took me two months (June-July) to fill the last one and it had 60 pages. This new one has 50 pages. Of course the last one also held our vacation road trip. But generally speaking I am drawing almost every day now at least one picture or more per day. We'll see how long this one lasts.

Have a good weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Very good composition, full of rhythm .... I like those colors. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, can feel the vibes they give ♥ Love the guitarmen with its prickly legs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you really captured the spirit of their performance and how relaxed and comfortable they looked. Glad the paper's working out--it really can make such a difference though I've done watercolors on printer paper in moments of desperation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! I'm enjoying it with you thanks to your great drawings, so full of the real stuff drawings are made of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, I'm so envious of your ability to draw ordinary scenes on site. What a fantastic talent! Your coloring with watercolors enhances it but it is so good that the drawing itself can stand alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn you captured the pensive manner in which they played! Wonderful. Even before you painted those sandals blue I knew which ones they were...so cool. I am in enamor of your illustrations. I am going to give it a kick at the can soon!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to all of you for your kind kudos about my drawings. It touches my heart, it makes me feel so so good you don't even know how much! And it makes me want to draw more! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you so so so so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is wonderful. I thought I had commented. My fist thought was about that new journal you got as I got one too. So glad you told me it was on sale as I have had my eye on it and rushed right down to get the last one there. Let me know if it makes a difference in how you work. These sure are great ..It makes such a difference from B&W to color. It adds depth in color. The guy in pink comes forward more and belongs to the group better in color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops.. not fist.. FIRST thought. arrgh. Fingers behave!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can almost hear the music...the keys on the acordean (can't spell) was the first thing I saw...I hope you are keeping a journal of all of these magical drawings.
    No Lynn, we never exchanged addresses or phone numbers. Heck, I didn't have a phone. But they are as real today as they were then. I always wondered about how things had turned out for them. The gift of memory is all I own, is all that I have. If I told you this is just apart of this story would you understand, so many things left, but this was what I could write. My sister Sharon wants me to send it to someone so it will be published. I will think about that one day. Thank you Lynn for supporting this story from so long ago. Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done. Kickback time, and they are totally into what they are doing, as you are. Great job. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!