Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

In The Kitchen With Lynn ... Organically Speaking!

After all my healthy eating for the past few months, (Vegan, Organic), I was delighted to find that my DIL had made
a healthy delicious dessert (eaten in moderation of course) that tasted like the most expensive, rich,
chocolate truffles!
 
I was excited to give them a try!
 
 Staying with my new Organic, Vegan life style this recipe fit the bill perfectly:

Let's call them "Jackie's Raw Cocoa Frozen Truffles"

Organic Ingredients Needed:
 
1C coconut oil
 
1/2 C raw cocoa
 
1/4 C maple syrup
(If you are near a Costco they have an Organic Kirkland brand of maple syrup)
 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (also Kirkland, Organic)
 
Sprinkle of sea salt (same)
 
experiment if you like with other flavors: cumin, coriander, cinnamon (I added this to mine), peanut butter
 
Blend by hand in a bowl, pour into cupcake papers (about 1/4th inch high)
Freeze in the cupcake papers and tin in your freezer
 
They are not cooked, they are RAW
 
and they are DELICIOUS



On Mother's Day my kids and grand kids in Portland gifted me with this wonderful
 food dehydrator by Nesco (purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond). 500 Watts. It is busy at work right now on my counter top in front of my also new rice cooker, old blender, new hand held immersion blender. Some of these new things I have needed since returning to the kitchen.


My first endeavor is to make Flax Seed crackers.

Since I am not eating bread or any other processed foods, I was missing something to crunch on. This recipe can be found in the book I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude by Terces Engelhart (I got mine downloaded onto my iPad/Kindle App from Amazon.com, which makes for an easily usable cookbook)

You start by soaking 2 1/2 C of flax seeds for 8 hours (I started this in the morning and got the mixture into the dehydrator at 9 PM that night...was getting my first taste of crackers when I woke up this morning!)

I made the carrot juice in my old blender. Strained out the carrot pulp with a hand strainer.
I soaked the flax seeds covered in water in my mother's old Sunbeam Mixer bowl. ;-)


I didn't have enough "jelly roll trays" (one came with the dehydrator) so I improvised, advised by DIL Jackie, to use parchment paper, which I cut out to fit to hold the more liquefied mixture on the other three trays. ( I found the parchment paper in my craft stash!)


I spooned the carrot juice, pulp, flax seed mixture onto the paper covered tray and spread it around thinly...


... until it was completely covered... Then popped them onto the dehydrator, plugged it in, set it for 115 degrees F and went to bed.


This morning I woke to some crisp thin crackers. I will store them in an air tight box and they should last a week if not longer. I have more than I can probably eat in this time so will be giving some away.

 (This morning not all were completely dry so dehydrator is still doing it's job. I was able to free them from the paper and put them back on the tray racks to dry completely.)



Bon Appetite~

8 comments:

  1. yum yum yum
    i have tried similar recipes and love them both
    you are inspiring me to make some chocolates. thank you for sharing your recipe.

    also your sketches below are a joy to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I can smell all that cooking...yummy!! Lovely to see your new kitchen gizmos, I really like the sound of the dehydrator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the flax crackers sound good but no way I'm going to spend all that time. I just grind up some flax seed and sprinkle it on my cereal. I am amazed at your recent cooking adventures. I remember a post of yours a long way back where you burned a casserole (or something). Good for you for exploring this new to you way of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like lots of work. I am a lazy cook. but that chocolate sounds good. :) Happy cooking. you do all things with equal passion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think my daughter would be into making these flax crackers for sure...need a dryer me thinks!! lol Looks awesome!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you- so domesticated- I hate the kitchen- and although a vegetarian for over 30 years- I am so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize you had become vegan. That's a bit too strict for me, but I do avoid processed foods whenever possible. The crackers look wonderful! My goal is to only allow fish as my source of animal protein. I did it for 22 years, I just have to get back to it!

    Good for you...you domestic Goddess :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!