An Era Comes to an End, The Last Nine Years: My Sixties
Today begins the last year of my sixties, or as DH says, I am now entering my 70th year! He always has to add one! I have been thinking about this a lot. And wondering what to say. Let me start by saying that my sixties have been some of the very best years of my life.
I recently found a poem my mother wrote when she was 4 yrs younger than I am now and it's about aging. None of the things she addressed from crepey skin to liver spots bothers me. I rarely notice those aspects of growing older. What I do notice more are the exciting fun parts of living.
Some of thehigh lights of the past 9 years have been:
1. my daughters engagement, marriage, pregnancy and birth of twins
2. being the grandma to those twins
3. taking that quilting class
4. all the art making that that exploded into
5. starting a blog(s)
6. all that that exploded into!
7. Our dear cat, Brand, of 14 yrs dying.
8. Four years later finding Henry V and letting him fill that void and our lives.
9. My son's getting divorced.
10. My son getting re-married, adding J. to our lives.
11. 10 years of car trips across country to MN; to the coast and beach; to Canada and all the many states in between!
12. getting social security
13. paying off our home
14. being out of debt
15. Watching my older grand kids grow up, graduate from high school (K), get his first home (M).
16. involvement in art shows, selling art, art classes
17. Continuing in my private practice as a counselor, but cutting back my work hours considerably!
18. Losing my mother in law
19. Enjoying my elder aunt and uncle into their nineties
20. Enjoying time spent with my husband, brother, kids, grand kids, and friends.
21. Seeing my DH graduate college and begin and continue teaching first elementary
and now middle school.
22. Staying in good health.
23. Dreaming about renovating our home and finally actually doing it!
24. And realizing that 69 is NOT OLD! And I don't think 70 will be either. Check with me next year to be sure.
the baby in the bottom left corner is me on my first birthday with my grandma Ella
25. Happy Birthday to me!
So, am I right in thinking that I am the eldest here?