Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Watercolor Workshop With Jan Foss

On Friday night I met Jan Foss, from Lake Tahoe, CA at the Paint Chip in Davis, CA where she was showing her art at the 2nd Friday Art About. She told me about the classes she was teaching in that town over the course of several days. I thought I might take the one on Sunday and learn some more techniques. I bought a sheet of 140 lb watercolor paper from Jan, but used my "student" paints to make this "wash" of wet on wet painting. This allows the paper to lay flat on the table and does not curl up on the sides this way. I learned about working from light to dark colors, about using liquid mask to leave white on the paper and be able to paint over it (I did not do this as my trees were dark)...so far so good...a light pencil sketch and then light colors painted in. The yellow in the background is sunlight.
the green tree leaves and bushes...the brown dirt road and ground...
I believe there were twelve of us, one man and the rest women...many were experienced painters already... You can see the teachers demo painting on the front table.
I could not get the hang of "splatter" painting for texture; I learned that trees are not brown, they have shades of blue and purple in them; that blues and purples can also be used for leaves in bushes to show contrast; and how to lay out rays of light coming through the trees by laying a long narrow strip of watercolor paper diagonally across the painting and rubbing out the color with a sponge.
Thank goodness she said not to expect to be creating a masterpiece today, but to concentrate on learning different techniques. I am looking for Bambi in this picture, do you see where he ran off to?
Needless to say I was exhausted on Sunday after my long busy weekend. Actually went out to my car mid afternoon to take a short nap. I was that tired.
If you read my blog from Friday to today you will see why. Fun, but I am actually looking forward to going to the dentist this morning because I get to lay back, close my eyes and rest some more. Even work will seem like relaxation in comparison.
Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. you are an inspiration in the way you take so many workshops and are so open to learning in this new medium for you. Love the light rays. Have a fun dentist nap. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Lynn - glad you enjoyed it even if you were exhausted!! The watercolour trail can be arduous but you seem to be making some great strides here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your class looks like fun Lynn. I hope you get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I am tired just following you on here. Nice to know you finally did need a nap. lol
    Looks like alot of equiptment on your table was it all yours? Did you do one painting only or more? Watercolor is very hard. Nice to keep taking lessons and learning. One can never learn enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like it was so much fun!!! I love how the rays of light came out .... great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have been a busy girl! how's the house painting coming?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What full and exciting (and exhausting) days you are having now! I am so envious that you got to see actual quilts from Gee's Bend. I've only seen them in books and on the web. So glad you are taking more classes. The watercolor looks like huge fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you being able to take these classes - I love the result, the rasys of sunlight look beautiful.

    Laughed when I read that you were looking forward to the dentist for a nap!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to look for workshops here! I could use some loosening up and inspiration from other artists. I'm alone in my studio too much.

    Great results from your class Lynn. You should be proud! I know this artist. (not personally.)

    You must be tired (or nuts) if you're looking forward to the dentist!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work!
    Must have been so wonderful doing this workshop!!!!
    I am back from camp and have to leave this afternoon for Bangkok.
    I have looked at all your posts but it is too much for me at this moment to comment and catch up. But Lynn believe me I always peak in here to see what you have been doing because it is always amazing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have two Jan Foss watercolors on my walls and I love them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!