Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Find Me At Seth Apter's Altered Page Again Today and Yesterday's Plein Air Painting Downtown

Today something I said will appear on Seth Apter's Blog, The Altered Page.
 I was asked to name a tool I use in my art work...I am not even sure what I said  so I will join you there to find out today, Sunday September 25th...Let's go see!!!!
On Saturday, to keep practicing, I took myself to our old downtown and set up my chair and art supplies in a doorway that I felt was not used and out of the flow of traffic to draw and paint the buildings on the other side of the street. All this in continued preparations for the big Paint Out in Calistoga the first weekend in October. In Calistoga I may try to paint some of the historic buildings in their downtown area so I felt practicing on my own town's old buildings was a good start. All of the buildings had cars in front of them and I did not want to draw the cars, as the buildings were my focal point. Thus the white left undone portion of the page. I drew what I could see.

My Lookie Lous were a little girl who shouted: "Look she is painting!!!", and a woman who stopped to look, exclaimed: "Oh watercolors"....very nice!"

I enjoyed my hour and a half...I think this may have become my new addiction.

THRIFT STORE FIND: I haven't shared my thrift store finds in a while, but today's was too good to not tell about. I had gone to Michael's first looking for some Art Masking Fluid for watercolor work. Well it was quite pricey, between $7 and $15 depending on the type. I was looking at the Winsor & Newton brand that they carry. I didn't bring my coupons with me so I decided to wait.
From there we went to the thrift store to see what we could find. I nearly fell over when I found a full bottle of Winsor and Newton Art Masking Fluid, the exact bottle I had just left behind at Michael's for
$2.00! I kid you not!

Okay, enjoy your Sunday...see you over at Seth's Altered Page!

6 comments:

  1. I love the bright colors on this page! It sounds like so much fun to sit outside and paint...with a friend. I'm not sure I'd like to do it alone. I need to find some painter friends up here, but I don't know a single person here who enjoys the painting like I do. Of course, I'm just hanging out at church or work..I might need to broaden my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out really great. I love the colors you used and I want to go visit those stores. I saw what you said on Seths blog. A pencil is a good thing to have. I wish I had your moxie to go draw in public alone. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great watercolor. I love the architecture and bright colors of your downtown buildings. Can't wait to see your next drawing. Uh huh, someone just knew how much you wanted that bottle of masking fluid and made sure to have it there waiting for you. Off to see you at Seth's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky, Lynn!!! What a find!!! I'm going over to altered page right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this painting. I like the unfinished bottom of it and the bright colors.
    I have masking fluid but I rarely use it. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!