Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ancestors in Ink and Paint

These paintings were done from photos of my great grandparents, my maternal grand father's parents.
I want to use them in  an art quilt I am thinking about making
and wanted to not use the photos but my own renditions of the photos.

My great grandmother is wearing a sheital or fall that Jewish women of her era wore.
You can read about it here. Scroll to "Hair coverings".
Many married Orthodox Jewish women still wear wigs today to show modesty by not showing their
hair in public. 
My grandfather  immigrated here from Russia when he was 18 yrs of age.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, a family tree quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a great project. I like your renderings. Your people have such life about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what stories your grandfather must have had. of course, i remember your family quilts done from photos. but,,,this will be so extra special. family quilts using your own sketches. i am in awe of you oh woman of magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to draw/paint directly on some canvas like cloth I have. We'll see how that goes. Suki, you give me such credit! Thanks! ;-))

      Delete
  4. Great capture of old ancestors. Even down to the non smile they used to do back then.
    Can' wait to see how this project comes out. Here you are mixing drawing with quilting. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cris, I have been so in to drawing and painting of late I have put art quilts to the sideline. This will be an opportunity to use both at the same time.

      Delete
  5. They are perfectly captured in black and white. Looking forward to seeing how you integrate these into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seth. I am too...the "idea" stage takes some time to gel. So we are both looking forward to seeing how this works out.

      Delete
  6. This is such a deep and meaningful thing to do. I really love the painting of your great grandmother. Beautiful idea that almost feels spiritual.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!