Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Baby Heart Blanket Coming Along...

Cris asked me to show the baby blanket's progress. Remember this is me knitting "in the round" for the first time. After finishing the center of nine hearts I began knitting in garter stitch around them in a pattern of stripes. Each stripe is 8 rows of Knit then Purl stitches.
This shows the backside of the blanket so you can see how the off white/wheat colored stripe stitches were added on to the green and blue squares. And here is the inside/backside in the round Now you can see the top side as I am half way through the fourth stripe. Each stripe is eight rows. And there will be twelve stripes in all. It takes two evenings of knitting to do one stripe. The first row is over 300 stitches. And eight stitches are added as increases every other row. So the blanket grows in size.
Now I bravely show you my mistakes as I am on a learning curve.
A felt button will cover that white stitch mistake!
After that I got pretty good on this corner of increases, as you can see that the line of knit
stitches goes pretty straight from the corner of the square outward.
This one isn't bad either, but I was still figuring it out on the white stripe
corners. Hence the felted buttons idea arose!
Here you can see the knitting needles and the colored yarns are "markers" that must be moved as I reach them. The green "marker" marks the beginning or starting place where I change from knit to purl.
The red and orange "markers" indicate when to increase on the K row; and
when to K1 on the purl rows.
and this corner is off center a bit. Oh well.
Baby won't notice!
Shush, don't tell.
Here you can see the side view of how the stripes will lay flat. And this last picture? I guess I inadvertently snapped a picture without realizing it as the camera swept over the blanket. Pretty, huh?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's going to be beautiful. I love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lynn for posting this. its fun to see the progress and its turning out so lovely. I almost see pink in the bottom blurr.. :)) What a lot of love going into this blanket and mistakes are for new inventions so they arent mistakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making real progress. I can't wait to see it all done. I love the colors, you are so creative. Spring is almost here!!
    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very pretty .... In love the blurred photo too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!