Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Prolific Week Drawing and Remembering


Starting with last Friday at Starbucks: a morning ritual now my husband and I do so I can draw while he drinks coffee and reads the paper and/or his book.


There is always an abundance of subjects to draw there.



Meanwhile back at the ranch/sketchbook skool: We were assigned to pick an artist whose work we admire and to copy their work as a way of studying their style. I picked Natalie Goldberg because a friend I met through blogging sent me her book saying that my art reminded her of Natalie's! Wow, such a compliment. I had to agree I saw some similarities.
(see my truck in my banner on this blog)


This was Saturday at Starbucks. A whole family had gathered around this baby. Other couples engaged in conversation. No one was on a computer or iPhone or laptop! Except the little boy whose back is to you. He was playing a game.




On Sunday we went out one more time. This family or group of friends were sitting around in a circle together. I couldn't help think it looked like a self help meeting. I titled it:

"My Name is Lynn, I'm an ART-O-holic!"


MOLDY PAINT, Who Knew? When I took out my travel kit of Daniel Smith paints I noticed something that looked like mold on some of the colors. It was! Yuck. I'd never heard of this happening before. I got advice from SBS teacher Roz Stendhal and some klassmates. I had to toss the paint, wash the kit well, spray with Lysol, wash again, dry well before adding paints anew. Then layer them in thirds letting each new layer dry completely before adding the next. And then let them dry after using them completely before shutting up the tin.
Also was told to toss the brush I used.



Next assignment at SBS: Draw my childhood home as it looked then and now!


Draw family from old photos, look for similarities in features, dress, etc.
I went much deeper, and will let the pictures speak for themselves.






Thanks for coming by and leaving your comments, if you do. They are much appreciated.
They inspire and encourage me to keep drawing.

Remember to visit SketchbookSkool.com.
and Paper, Paint, Pencils & Pens, my other blog with Ann Hyde. Where if you like you are welcome to join in the drawing fun and post your art there to a theme that changes every two weeks.
Visit Paint Party Friday and share your art there via the icon on my side bar.
Visit Sunday Sketchers and share your art there as well on Sunday, again find the icon on my sidebar.

Have a creative week.

If you haven't discovered my Life Figure Drawings yet, see that link and icon on the top of my sidebar (photo of pens) click and you are there!

20 comments:

  1. We are not too far apart in age. My old picture scrapbook looks almost exactly like that. Interesting. I sure could tell the years from the pictures. Good picture your friend drew. Thanks for including it. Love the Starbucks pictures. Your group sure doesn't look like mine. Different parts of the country I guess. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the art here is mine JKW. The Natalie Goldberg is a copy as assignment in Sketchbook Skool. To copy an artist we admire and tell why. My friend sent me her book. Perhaps I didn't write that clearly enough. Glad you enjoyed my art.

      Delete
  2. These are so wonderful...wow what a great bunch of diverse sketching...love the house, and those old photos are amazing with all the commentary!! I think moms feel protective of their boys for some reason!! All of this so enjoyable...Natalie Goldberg is that the one who wrote..." Writing down the bones"?

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalie Goldberg is the author of Writing Down The Bones. She was a writer first and then an artist.

      Delete
  3. Lynn, these are fantastic!! We always called my brother "The King"...need I say more? LOL The sketches from the photos are wonderful and you tell their story so candidly. Nice!! I was sketching with a friend of mine last night (Gina Lento) who is also doing Sketchbook Skool and she was talking about this assignment, but didn't have any old photos to use. Her mom has all of them, so she ended up using more recent photos. You have had such a busy week! It is a good thing I didn't sign up. This would have exhausted me. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, I dare say I believe you would love it at Sketchbook Skool. You can pace yourself doing as much or as little as you want at your own time schedule. Remember what you see here is not only my SBS assignments, but also my own jaunts to draw in public sessions. As for the family photos some one could have done one or two; I always go over board!

      Delete
  4. Great moments you've captured. Thank you for sharing them with us! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to go google Natalie Goldberg and now you've made me want to read her writing down the bones book!! So many wonderful illustrations here Lynne as always it's a feast for the vision visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a really fine way to savour your cherished moments

    Have a nice Paint Party Friday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sooooooo enjoy your posts!!! Your illustrations are delightful and full of life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These cafe illustrations are so fun! You always have such lively and bright art. Always a joy to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's YOU!!! YES!!! I haven't done PPF in ages and I recently started sketching people (and loving it, which is so weird for me) and I wanted to find you again and add you to my feedly and I COULDN"T FIND YOU. So frustrating. Yay!

    Anyway, Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful sketches - so full of life! If you put a tiny drop of bleach in your water, that minute amount will prevent mold in your paint. I have also heard that if you put a drop of dishwashing liquid in the water (like Dawn), it will also prevent mold. No need to allow them to dry before putting them away :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments as I love hearing from you. Your words of encouragement are why I continue to draw!